ランディス裁判の今までの経緯

スリラー、永久保存レジストリに登録されるより
1983年製作のジョン・ランディス監督(利益配分をめぐって係争中)によるビデオ「スリラー」は、アメリカ議会図書館の2009年度永久保存レジストリに登録される25本の映画の一つとなった。

この部分についてランディス裁判の今までの経緯をまとめてみました。ソースはMJFC(USA)に載せられたもののみです。ご了承ください。
(要旨)
(2009/1/28付)ジョン・ランディス訴える
映画制作者ジョン・ランディス(58歳、アニマル・ハウス, ブルース・ブラザーズの監督)と彼の会社レヴィツキー・プロダクションズは、ショートフィルム「スリラー」(ランディスは共作者で監督)に対するロイヤリティーについて訴訟を起こした。

訴状はロサンゼルス上級裁判所に提出された。訴状はオプティマム・プロダクションとマイケル・ジャクソンによるロイヤリティー支払い不履行という「不正な、悪意のある、耐え難い行い」を非難している。ランディスによれば、彼は「スリラー」と「メイキング・オブ・スリラー」から得られる純益の50%の権利を有しているという。彼は、マイケルがこの4年間にわたりロイヤリティー支払いが不履行であること、さらに過去にも50%全額の支払いを行っていないと主張している。ランディスが支払いを求めている正確な額については明らかにされていない。

ランディスの弁護士マーティン・フェルドマンはインタビューで、訴訟は最後の手段であったと語った。
「私はマイケル側がジョン・ランディスに対して行った行為について理解できません。その行為はあまりに露骨すぎて、私には思いもよらないことです」。

(2009/1/29付)ランディス、2つ目の訴訟を起こす
今水曜、映画制作者ジョン・ランディスが、マイケル・ジャクソンとブロードウェイ・プロデューサーのジェイムズ・L・ネダーランダーに対して訴訟を起こした。ランディスは、「スリラー」を舞台作品へと改作する権利が二人にはないと主張している。

ネダーランダーは今週初め、「スリラー」の舞台化の権利を得たと発表した(MJFCニュース2009年1月28日付)。ランディスの訴訟は、マイケル・ジャクソンにはネダーランダーへの権利の委譲をする正当な権利がなく、そしてネダーランダーはランディスが監督を務めた「スリラー」、「メイキング・オブ・スリラー」を元にした舞台作品の製作に対する正当性がないという判事の命令を求めている。ランディスは、マイケル・ジャクソンが「スリラー」に対する権利を委譲することで40万ドル以上を受け取っていると主張している。

ランディスの弁護士、マイルズ・L・フェルドマンは、「必要なら」舞台化の差し止めを求めるだろうと語った。

この新しい訴訟は、ジョン・ランディスの会社レヴィツキー・プロダクションズが、ロイヤリティーが少なくとも過去4年間に渡って支払われていないと主張してマイケル・ジャクソンを訴えたわずか数日後に起こされた。

(2009/3/3付)ランディス裁判アップデート
既報の通りジョン・ランディスは、ビデオ「スリラー」をブロードウェイ・ミュージカルへ使用することに関してマイケル・ジャクソンを訴えているが、ランディスがネダーランダーらに対して更なる法的手段をとったことが明らかになった。

「スリラー」と「メイキング・オブ・スリラー」の監督であるランディスは両作品に対して権利を有しており、「スリラー」をもとにしたブロードウェイ・ショーの製作に関するネダーランダーらとの合意の際、相談を受けていなかったと主張している。

ジャクソン側広報トーメ・R・トーメとジェイムズ・L・ネダーランダーはすでに証言を終えている。次回の聴聞会は以下の日程で行われる。

2009年3月2日 非公開(Case Review)
2009年5月18日 Initial Status Conference
2009年5月11日 Initial Status Conference

以下原文。
(2010年3月19日加筆:参考; ランディス、スリラー3D間もなくリリースと発言
■John Landis Files Lawsuit
(28-1-2009) Filmmaker John Landis (58; Animal House, The Blues Brothers) and his company Levitsky Productions are suing over royalties for the legendary short film 'Thriller' - which Landis co-wrote and directed.

The respective complaint was filed in Los Angeles (USA) Superior Court last Wednesday. It accuses Optimum Productions and Michael Jackson of "fraudulent, malicious and oppressive conduct" for failing to forward royalties. Landis says he's due 50 percent of the net profits from the video as well as the documentary 'Making Michael Jackson's Thriller'. As well as failing to pay Landis for proceeds for four years, he also claims the entertainer earlier had failed to pay the full 50% of proceeds which he was contractually due. The suit doesn't specify the exact amount Landis is owed.

Landis attorney Martin Feldman said in an interview the lawsuit was a last resort.

"I can't understand what they are doing to John Landis' company. It is such a straight ahead thing. It makes no sense at all to me."

Source: MJFC / E! Online / The Wrap / Special thanks to Cathy!

■Landis Files Second Lawsuit
(29-1-2009) This Wednesday, filmmaker John Landis filed yet another lawsuit against Michael Jackson and Broadway producer James L. Nederlander, claiming the pair lack the proper rights to adapt a stage production based on the short film Thriller.

Nederlander had announced earlier this week that his company had acquired the rights to Thriller for a stage show (see MJFC news item 28-1-2009). Landis' lawsuit seeks a judge's order that Michael Jackson lacks the adequate rights to transfer to Nederlander, and that the producer doesn't have the authority to create a stage show based on the video or documentary that Landis directed. Landis claims Michael Jackson was paid more than $400,000 for the rights.

Landis' attorney, Miles J. Feldman, said the director would seek to stop the show 'if it becomes necessary.'

This new lawsuit came only days after John Landis' company Levitsky Productions Inc. sued Michael Jackson, claiming they hadn't been paid royalties on Thriller for at least four years.

Source: MJFC / The Daily Mail

■Update on Landis Case
(3-03-09) As previously reported, John Landis had filed suit against Michael Jackson over the proposed use of the 'Thriller' video in a new Broadway musical. Now, it appears that the director has taken further legal action against the Nederlander Organization.

Landis, who directed both the 'Thriller' video and the very popular 'Making of Michael Jackson's Thriller' video, owns part of the rights to each and claims that he was not consulted when the agreement was made with Nederlander Organization to produce a new Broadway show based on the groundbreaking videos.

Tohme R. Tohme, Jackson's offical spokesperson and James L. Nederlander have both been deposed in the case already. The next hearings in the case will take place as follows:

02/03/2009 - Non-Appearance (Case Review)
18/05/2009 - Initial Status Conference
11/05/2009 - Initial Status Conference.

Source: MJFC / reporter.blogs.com / MJWN
関連記事